Monday, March 21, 2011

Weddings and Babies

Last week was spring break, and I spent a good bit of it in Utah for my friend Kevin's wedding. We've been friends since middle school, and I haven't seen him in a really long time. It had been about 9 years, not counting a 15 minute visit that neither of us can really remember.

Matt and I flew in on Wed, and we were greeted at the airport by a muscular guy in a gray sweatshirt and a gray beanie. It was Kevin, and he startled me because I didn't recognize him at first under all the layers. He came rushing up to me and gave me a huge hug, I had no idea he was going to be at the airport. Matt and I got our rental car, and Kevin made sure we knew where we were going. Then we met up for dinner where I was reunited with his mother, and I met his brother, Brian, and step dad, Bob.

In a lot of ways Kevin has changed, but not in any way that is bad. He's still a bit silly, but he's balanced it with more maturity that comes with growing up and being in the military. He's turned into a great adult, but he was always a super guy anyway. I had another flash from the past when Rob showed up. He's changed a LOT since high school: long hair, taller, different voice, married, etc. He and Kevin go back to when they were five, so that was a nice reunion as well.

I met Kevin's fiance (now wife), Lacy, who I think fits well with Kevin's personality. I didn't get to talk to her much, but they seem to have a lot in common. The big difference is that she comes from an absolutely massive family. She has five siblings, many of which also have several children. I've never seen so many kids at a wedding before in my life. Babies everywhere! Kevin and Lacy gave me the impression that they want 3 or 4 eventually.

This was a LDS wedding, and since Kevin and Lacy were getting married in the temple, Rob, Matt, and I couldn't actually be there when they got married. But, we were at the fancy luncheon before, and the reception afterward. I feel honored that Kevin wanted me there, and I was glad I could make it. I'm not really close with many people from before college, but the select few are really good people that I don't want to lose.

Despite the huge crowd of people, it was pretty informal. I think I like that. Weddings that are overly orchestrated seem weird to me, and I like a casual atmosphere where you feel like you can get up and wander around to see people. I know that also can lead to chaos, but finding a balance is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment