Sunday, September 5, 2010

There's Some Good News and Some Bad News

It's been a pretty lazy weekend. I didn't get out of bed until way later than I'm willing to admit. But it's a long weekend, and I was up late, so I don't feel too bad about it. Actually, I don't feel bad about it at all.

First, some good news. Matt and I have keys to our mailbox finally! And my mom sent us a package that DIDN'T have a a bill in it! She bought us a colorful dish towel set. That's good, because Matt and I were just recently saying how we should get some towels that aren't white, because they are starting to look pretty disgusting, clean or otherwise. That was so thoughtful of her.

Then some bad news. I got my deposit check from my landlord. A substantial chunk was taken out for cleaning and other BS things, which if I thought I had a chance in hell of winning, I would dispute. If you follow my blog at all, you know I didn't get out of State College until midnight the evening I moved simply because we were cleaning the house. Then I get this crap. I'm not a happy camper about this. Not much can be done about it now, so I'll just fume for a while, get over it, and we can go on with our merry little lives.

Moving on to...

More bad news. I haven't been paid yet. I have $38 in my checking account, and I was supposed to get paid on the 31st. It just didn't happen, and it's a holiday weekend, so I can't do anything about it until Tuesday at the very earliest.Thank God I have SOME savings and Matt to back me up for a couple weeks. I owe him, big time.

Okay, let's finish up on some good news.

Last night Matt and I went to my friend Fred's house to play games. It was a lot of fun and we met another cool person, Todd, who we will hopefully see more of in the future, especially where game playing is involved. We played a couple of card based games: Guillotine and Flux. Guillotine is pretty easy and funny, the goal is to gain points by executing "noble" people: the higher their rank, the more points they are worth. Flux is a bit more complicated. The rules change based on what cards you play, and there is no way to win the game from the onset. And the way in which you win changes throughout the game. It sounds confusing, but it makes sense once you play for a while. I won!

We also played Settlers. Matt and I were the only ones to have played it before, but Fred and Todd picked it up easily. Matt won, like usual.

I love game nights. Sure, games are expensive and there is a start up fee for actually buying them, but once you have them they provide hours of cost free fun. Which is exactly what I need. There's also something about board games that you can't get with video games or games over the internet. There's a whole other social aspect to it that is lost when you put a machine in the midst of everything. It turns out that, despite my cynicism, I enjoy people.

Okay, I should probably do something productive today, even if it is just getting to the grocery store or doing some laundry. Maybe some homework? We'll see, I have tomorrow to screw around as well. I love long weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment