Friday, October 8, 2010

SVP 2010 Friday

Today I left for the 70th Annual Meeting of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontologists, in Pittsburgh. It was a long trip, but my adviser and I had the same flight, and I learned some interesting things about her and we chatted more than we have since I moved to Albuquerque.

The meeting itself doesn't start until Sunday, but Russ and Tony Barnosky are leading a field trip tomorrow to some famous cave sites in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Hopefully it will be an interesting trip, it had better be, it cost a pretty penny to go. At least I'll see some nice fall foliage.

Right now I'm sitting in a pretty posh hotel room, waiting for my roomie to show up. I got in, and apparently I missed a call from her (I think, I could make out the message, so it could have been anyone, really). She's out with Russ and folks, I called and left a message, but no reply. It's okay, it's been a long day, I'm tired, and I'll probably see people tomorrow.

My friend Chira picked me up from the airport, which was awesome, because otherwise I would have needed to take the airport shuttle, and those can be hit or miss. We hung out for a while, and got some dinner out. Dinner was delicious, I got pan seared salmon with mango butter, cinnamon smashed sweet potatoes, and green beans. I haven't had salmon in a long time, and it was great. Chira looks like she is doing well, her baby is due in January. I know she'll make a really great mom. I hope that classes and student teaching aren't too stressful for her.

I'm gonna go relax, and hopefully fall asleep soon. Early morning tomorrow. The good thing is, I don't have to go far to meet for the field trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment