Thursday, April 15, 2010

Science Outreach!

I love teaching. If I haven't made that clear in previous posts, it should be now. This weekend I'm running an exhibit during a science outreach event at Penn State called Exploration Day. I'll be showing off various types of fossils to what will hopefully add up to around 3,000 people.

About the event:
http://www.explorationday.psu.edu/

It looks like things are coming together. After putting it off for a few days, I finally got some plant specimens from the local paleobotanist to display. All the vertebrate paleo items are collected in my lab for transport. All I need now are to organize my invertebrate fossils, and get my displays all printed out and pretty.

We (me and a few volunteers) will be showing everything from dinosaurs to biofilms at a table geared at showing fossils of all types. It should be five hours of crazy fun! There will be a display on some of the field work we do, and I'm even trying to track down appropriate specimens so that kids can do crayon and paper rubbings of some different fossils. So far I have a fern and a sea scorpion (possibly some brachiopods) for this activity. I also have pictures of prehistoric animals that the kids can take home to color. I hope I can get some kids excited about paleo and fossils through my exhibit on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment