Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pain

I'm going to force an analogy here, so just bear with me.

This week I finally went to yoga for the first time in over a month. Without my knowing, it is the end of March, and I have once again wasted a perfectly good fitness membership by not going to any classes or even so much as using the elliptical. Nevermind yoga.

This week I also attempted to write the abstract for my thesis. My master's thesis consists of two chapters on two semi-related projects. They complement each other, but are stand alone works. The abstract is supposed to succinctly address the results of a study, while still making sense. It should flow and be intelligible.

Both the yoga and the abstract proved to be quite painful. You're trying to gracefully make something fit an idea, but it doesn't always end up so graceful, or pretty, or intelligible. Sometimes you fall over on your face.

Oddly enough, I was able to hold a Tuladandasana (balancing stick pose) and a Dandayamana-Dhanurasana (standing bow pulling pose) with minimal effort. So it seems I have good balance in my life, but zero flexibility.

The moral of the story: take care of your body, if you don't it will manifest itself in the way you think and operate. Oh, and sometimes it's impossible to write, and you need to give yourself some mental space.
My analogy was pretty weak and fell apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment